Thursday 4 July 2013

It Is Not Only Fine Feathers That Make Fine Birds

Here is the complete illustration I created for one of my personal favourite Aesop fables 'The Jay and the Peacock'.

Link:   The Jay and the Peacock

I took the moral 'it is not only fine feathers that make fine birds' in an illustrative sense- how it could illustrate the fable in an understanding way.

My process:

Original pencil design. Jay bird silhouette filled out with Peacock feather design.


Draw over lines with pen tool in Photoshop using appropriate tones.


Complete design with line colour and a touch of shading



Final design complete with the moral as text. White background to make the text and image stand out. The lines appear to be more detailed and visible on this background.


4 comments:

  1. beautiful work, i wish I had this type of talent! do you use a tablet?

    it might be just me, but I really liked the black background, especially to show off the detail in the eye and the beak...I agree that the lines are more visible on the white. my conflicting $.02

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much! I used the pen tool in Photoshop when I'd finally got used to it :)

    I was really indecisive with which background to use but I thought it looked a lot cleaner with the white. I do agree the shading stands out a lot more with the black though :) thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful and creative. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog award:

    http://myddshow.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    looking forward to seeing more beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your support! People like you give me hope in the art world :-)

    ReplyDelete