Monday 27 January 2014

Initial trip to 3M Buckley Innovation Centre

As part of the brief, I was told that I would have to make a commissioned art piece for the 3M Buckley Innovation Centre at the University of Huddersfield. Therefore, my initial reaction was to go to the building itself to gain a better perspective of the style and layout which will help me when making appropriate design decisions.





As a general observation, I found that the building had a modern interior and exterior, but also felt quite corporate and simple. There are a lot of geometric shapes and limited colours, seemingly only grey, green and red tones. As the building suggests, it has a very professional look, though lacks any vibrancy in colour to fit into the sleek, modern finish. 

In the corridors, light projects text onto the walls and much shadow. I will need to be careful when placing my work so the reflection doesn't disadvantage my artwork and think about how it could affect the overall look of the piece. The artwork will need to be appropriate for the setting, keeping a modern feel whilst interesting professionals and creatives who work in the same building.

I immediately took initiative and asked the receptionist to forward my email to those who work in the building so I could interview them about their companies and what they would like to see in the building. So far I haven't received any emails.

Even though I have already looked at the building, the 2 week research period is strictly focused on the themes of 'innovation' and 'creativity' rather than the innovation centre itself. I will go back to researching more on the building at a later date.





No comments:

Post a Comment